What is Sociology
Sociology is one of the most popular courses in social sciences, which focuses on studying the structure, developments, and functioning of human society. Doing so involves the study of community or societal issues, also known as social problems or challenges. In order words, sociology can also be better explained as the study of society as a whole, with patterns of social relationships, social interaction and culture of the day-to-day interactions of people. While studying human society as a social science discipline, it also takes careful considerations of their interactions and the processes that preserve and change culture as a whole.
What is Social Work
Social work deals with helping and supporting people of various gender, groups, and communities who have different challenges and problems. Social work could also be studied academically as a course in the social sciences department in an institution. Social workers can act as counsellors, mediators, clinical Heath workers, and in the hospital to care for special people as they work with both individuals, particular groups of people, and communities. Their work spans various things, and they are always in demand. Still, in general, they support people either as a community or individually to overcome their social problems and live comfortably in their environments.
Key Difference Between a Degree in Sociology and a Degree in Social Work
- Sociology can be the theory aspect of social science that specializes in the study of social behaviours and interactions of different people, gender, groups, and societies. Sociologists carry out researches and then analyze them within other social concepts such as class, gender and various patterns of human behaviour.
- Sociology pursues different research opportunities that examine the social behaviour, challenges and issues of other people or groups in the society.
- Social work deals with the physical work of sociology as it helps to connect individuals or communities of notable people with the resources they need to solve their problems. Social workers empower different people who need help, such as the vulnerable, oppressed, abused children, the aged, and impoverished persons, to cope with issues that affect their overall daily lives and proffer solutions.
- Social workers focus on creating physical problem-solving techniques to conquer various social issues affecting people in their immediate environments.
Top 10 Universities to Gain a Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology
- University of Cambridge
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of Chicago
- Harvard University
- University of Oxford
- Stanford University
- Yale University
- Princeton University
- University of California–Berkeley
- University of California–Los Angeles
Top 10 Universities to Gain a Bachelor’s Degree in Social work
- New York University
- Fordham University
- University of Wisconsin
- University of Washington
- Syracuse University
- Rutgers University
- University of Georgia
- University of Chicago
- Michigan State University
- Columbia University
What Jobs Can One Get With a Bachelor’s Degree In Sociology?
- Lawyer: lawyers also study sociology in their career paths because they deal with humans and defend them in court. Before one can be a practicing lawyer or judge, one will have to understand the human mind and how to interact with it, so sociology becomes very important in this field.
- Counselling and therapy: sociologists can also work as counsellors either in schools, hospitals, or private practice. Counsellors study the human mind and how to relate with people of different needs, thereby creating how to solve individual problems.
- Education: sociologists can also be in the educational sector to impart knowledge to people of different grades. They can work in universities, colleges and various institutes of learning.
- Community work: some community workers are also sociologists because they deal with people and help to solve their social problems. They also help render services to the aged, children and other underprivileged persons of the society.
- Public service: sociologists can work in public service offices such as the police, soldiers and other enforcement officers. They can also work in various parts of the states where justice needs to be served to different situations.
What Jobs Can One Get With a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work
- Clinical social workers help individuals who have mental, behavioural and emotional disorders and are hospitalized. They help assess the individuals’ mental health, diagnose mental disorders, develop treatment plans and assist in taking care of these disorders. Clinical social workers work mainly in mental hospitals, community mental health centers, private practices, etc.
- Child welfare social work: these workers help care for and manage children who suffer from child abuse or neglect. These child welfare social workers investigate to determine if a child can remain in the home where they have been abused or take the child to a safer place, either temporarily or permanently. A child welfare social worker may also get involved in child adoptions and follow up with the aftermaths of the adoption processes.
- Medical or Public Health Social Worker: works in hospitals, wellness centers, emergency rooms, nursing homes, rehabilitation facilities, home care agencies, assisted-living facilities and hospices. These health social workers help ensure the patients are cared for properly and liaise with medical personnel.
- Education: Some professional social workers go to teach the profession in colleges and universities; most social workers work in clinics, schools, hospitals and government agencies, as well as private practices and different organizations. Direct-service social workers work with individuals to help with life challenges, access community and public resources and cope with life challenges such as adopting a child, a medical diagnosis, addiction, or disability. Clinical social workers focus on developing individual, group, or family counselling to improve their clients’ mental and emotional health and develop individual or family coping strategies for such challenges.
- Public service: some social workers work in public services to render help to those who need them, like the aged, prisoners, the abused, drug addicts, etc. These social workers help these groups find their lives back and help them live healthy lives every day. They also help them embrace society and find love and happiness as their former lives.
Sociology Vs. Social Work Which Degree is Best
Sociology degrees are focused generally on understanding human life and its interaction with the environment, looking at distinctive groups and cultures. In other words, Sociology is known as the theoretical aspect you will need to study and eventually apply as a social worker.
While Social Work deals with discovering and understanding new methods that can influence human behaviour and interactions and help people overcome their problems.
In other words, sociology and social work degrees are essential and unique careers in various ways because they work intermittently with each other for the good of people and make lives comfortable for people to live in their society. They both deal with human reasoning and, as such, are considered both important. Sociology and social work degrees can also be used in exchange for each other.
How Does Sociology Relate to Social Work
Sociology is mainly how humans interact with each other and how their environment works. Sociology is also a form of studying human behaviour patterns concerning their environment and society.
Sociologists study human society and social behaviour through research of groups, cultures, and institutions. They engage in complex research projects, often using statistical and other methods from the social sciences, including interviews, surveys and observations in the field.
Social Work is helping a portion of marginalized people in a society and working to help them. Social Workers use sociology, psychology, and other social sciences to understand and solve problems.
Social work deals with similar issues to sociology; they are either direct-service workers who provide immediate help to people solve their daily personal and social problems or clinical social workers who could function as psychologists. They help their clients cope with mental and behavioural issues.
Can I Become a Social Worker With a Sociology Degree?
Sociology and social work are similar, but the significant difference is that social work deals with the physical aspect of dealing with human problems and proffering solutions to the betterment of people. In contrast, sociology deals with the theory aspect of human lives and how they relate with their environments.
A sociology degree can be used to become a social worker because you have already learned how people relate in their environments to put these theories into practice as a social worker. Although academically, there are variations in the courses offered at the university, one can still become a social worker with a sociology degree.
Pursuing a career in sociology is a gratifying career that helps human lives by researching and analyzing data obtained in society. These sociologists help to study human society and various social behaviour through their research of both individuals, groups, and cultures. They make use of statistical methods such as surveys.
While on the other hand, becoming a social worker requires good communication skills, commitment, creative thinking, and a remarkable ability to interact with people.
Sociology and social works are great career paths that are interrelated, and both works to enhance the healthy living of human lives concerning their environments. Social workers are always in great demand as they are needed in hospitals, health centers, homes for the old, etc.